Holiday Bundt for Brunch or Dessert
These gorgeously shaped cakes are perfect for every holiday meal, according to San Ysidro Ranch pastry chef Michelle Straub. Throughout her time in the gastronomic world, Straub has put a focus on bringing new life to classic recipes using the best ingredients possible. “My goal has always been to do the basics extremely well, because that is the foundation of any good dessert or pastry,” she said. That includes the essential Bundt cake. Her latest creation is a gluten-free almond olive oil Bundt cake, a gorgeous dessert that comes filled with delicious intentions – as well as a luxe layer of orange zest icing, toasted almonds, and candied fruits. Chef Straub garnishes the cake with candied kumquats and candied cranberries. “The combination of citrus, toasted almond, and olive oil really give this cake a richness that is perfect for the holidays,” she said.
Here’s a look at Straub’s recipe to make at home. Or order a Bundt cake 48 hours in advance for carryout ($65).
Gluten-Free Almond Olive Oil Bundt Cake
For the glaze:
1 teaspoon finely grated orange zest
3-4 tablespoons milk
3/4 cup powdered sugar
For the cake:
3/4 cup sour cream
1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
4 large eggs
3/4 cup olive oil
1 teaspoon almond extract
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups Bob’s Red Mill 1-1 gluten free flour
3/4 cup almond flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Butter and sugar coat a Bundt pan or 9-inch cake pan.
2. Prepare glaze by whisking together ingredients, cover, and set aside.
3. In another bowl whisk together sour cream, sugar, eggs, olive oil, and extracts. Set aside.
4. In a bowl whisk together dry ingredients.
5. Whisk the wet mixture into the dry ingredients until combined and smooth.
Bake for 25-35 minutes. Test your cake by poking with a skewer; cake is done when it comes out clean. Remove from the oven.
7. Cool for 10 minutes and tip out of the pan. Glaze while warm.
8. Garnish glaze as desired with toasted almonds or candied fruits.
Notes: Baking time varies oven to oven. Check the cake at the 20-minute mark and keep tabs from there. Another idea is to brush the cake with rum or liquor before glazing the cake for an added kick in flavor.
Straub garnishes the cake with candied kumquats and candied cranberries.